[Kolab-devel] Freeze going for server 2.1.0beta

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Thu Nov 24 11:31:32 CET 2005

Am Dienstag, 22. November 2005 20:22 schrieb Richard Bos:
> Op dinsdag 22 november 2005 11:14, schreef Bernhard Reiter:

> So in 7 days (more or less) a 2.1beta release can expected.

At least that is the plan,  unless somebody objects.

> But after the
> release, you won't release a stable version immediately.  That means the
> freeze will be more than just the 7 days mentioned above.  It might run
> into 1 month (just till X-mas....)

But we might decide to fix some non-critical bugs after the beta and have
another one, it that is really necessary.
It is not set in stone.

> Please update the roadmap webpage http://www.kolab.org/roadmap.html
> It still says that 2.1 is expected in September....  It would be better to
> state that it will be december...

True, done in CVS.

> > Do we need a development branch for this?
> > I am unsure about it. Actually I do not want to spread out the
> > development of the server too much as a high priority is stability. Kolab
> > already works in many environments and we need to keep it this way,
> > offering well testing upgrade paths.
> > So my suggestion is to make the development branch, if server 2.1 can
> > fully replace the 2.0.x servers.
>
> I don't see the relation.  You could make a 2.1 branch now.  That means
> that no code changes will be committed to, except for critical bugs and the
> like. The 2.1 branch will be as stable as 2.0....  In the mean time HEAD
> will be used for development work.  As such new development won't influence
> the 2.1 branch at all....  The 2.1 branch will make it easy to a 2.1.1 etc
> release too...

Doing a branch now will give use three branches to watch,
e.g. makes each bug fix in all three branches more work.
If you see enough new development to warrant a branch,
then: Why not.

Bernhard