[Kolab-devel] wiki got spammed badly!

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 12:04:12 CET 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 06:01, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 6. November 2005 09:37 schrieb Richard Bos:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Carefully check your pages, with the history button for changes.
> > Sometimes do don't see the changes as they are hidden.
>
> The spamming gets worse over time. In addition I am afraid that the
> spammers abuse the wiki history to keep manipulating search engines because
> the texts still get indexed.....
>
> What about adding some precautions to the site like human readable codes
> (these funny pictures showing distorted letters)?
>
> Yours,
> -- martin

The history pages are --noindex, so any robot that obeys rules (google, yahoo,
msn) will not index any of the spammers changes. I have tried to implement a
"capcha" device, but was unsuccessful, I will give it another go, as the last
spamming was quite heavy!

If you are clearing spam from a spammer that has written multiple writes to
multiple pages, the best thing to do is click on the user name in
recentchanges, then in the toolbox on the left, click user contributions, go
through their edit history, and check the history of the edited pages. View
the diff "cur" of the last sane edit (usually the first on that is not
theirs) and either click "rollback" or edit/save.

Thanks to the folks who helped with this last one, almost every page was
spammed!

Cheers,