[Kolab-devel] Multi-domain support, request for ideas

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri May 27 10:28:38 CEST 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 15:13, Steffen Hansen wrote:
> Multi-domain support in Kolab is a much requested feature. It is
> possible to extend the current Kolab server to support users with email
> addresses in different domains with too much trouble, but all the users
> will still be in one bag so to speak.

Personally I dubbed this "email multi-domain" support.
In contrast to the "ASP ready multi-domain" support where
you can have seperate managers for seperate domains.

> A proper solution with separate distribution lists, users, maintainers
> etc. for each domain requires a change to the layout of the LDAP tree.
> I would imagine a subtree for each domain where each such subtree looks
> like what we have currently. But there might be other changes too.

One design criteria I have in mind actually is
that we should try to be a independent as possible from the
actual tree structure. This would give us advantages in places
where users already have requirements for a directory service
and already made decisions.

It is good to ship a canocial tree design that will work well with Kolab,
but we should also prepared to deal with completely different tree
structures. Inherently I think it is possible to not demand a certain tree
structure at all.

> So if we are going to make incompatible changes to the LDAP
> datastructure anyway (call it Kolab3 or whatever), we might as well do
> it properly so it fulfills as many peoples requirements as possible.

I am thinking along two steps for the road map:
a) email multi-domain support with joined tree and administration
b) ASP ready customer-domains

a) is a lot easier to do and I would aim for Kolab Server 2.2 with minimal
changes to the clients.

Bernhard