[Kolab-devel] Re: OpenLDAP performance issues

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu May 26 12:12:53 CEST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 26. Mai 2005 11:14 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

Hi,

> BTW: Why are you using libdb-4.3 here?

Because it is an experiment and the version does not matter for that purpose.

> > Bernhard: Do you remember when I mentioned the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
> > environment variable at the "Mailserver Konferenz" in Magdeburg last
> > week?
>
> Of course, as you can see from the issue707, I also entered it there
> as result of our chat.
> Steffen replied though, that this did not make a difference for him.

Of course it made no difference in his tests because LD_ASSUME_KERNEL affects
how the dynamic linker resolves the system/glibc thread library.

BUT as mentioned before Steffen uses the GNU pth statically. Of course the
dynamic linker cannot influence its behaviour.

In the meantime I looked closer into pth and came to the conclusion that most
probably it is really a bad idea together with libbdb due to the design of
bdb which depends on effective resolution of built in deadlocks.

> > Steffen: I propose to remove "--with-threads=pth" as a first step.

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany