[Kolab-devel] Re: OpenLDAP performance issues

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Sun May 22 11:08:19 CEST 2005

Hi,

Steffen Hansen <steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se> writes:

> On Saturday 21 May 2005 18:07, Dieter Kluenter wrote:

> Ok, I can downgrade to the versions we had before, but we still need the
> problem solved somehow. If the LDAP directory that we base the whole
> server-config on is not reliable, it doesn't really matter if it
> performs well or not.

What problem are you talking about? All I know of is issue 707 and I
don't have enough information on configuration options, database size,
number of operations in a given period a.s.o.

> Do you have suggestions for slapd/bdb config-parameters according to the
> following priorities:
>
> 1) Reliability
> 2) Read performance
> 3) Write performance
>
> Write performace can suffer badly to improve the two other priorities.
> So any kind of write caching etc. can be disabled, no problem.

I really can't give an advice as this is primarily dependend on the
individual setup. I gave some hints in a previous mail, based on some
200 mailusers plus 5,000 addressbook entries.

With regard to upcoming OpenLDAP-2.3.x I would advise to get
openldap-2.2.3beta, edit a minimal slapd.conf

,----[ slapd.conf ]
| include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
| pidfile         /usr/local/var/run/slapd.pid
| argsfile        /usr/local/var/run/slapd.args
|
| database        config
| rootdn          cn=config
| rootpw          secret1
|
| database        monitor
|
| database        bdb
| suffix          "dc=mydomain,dc=tld"
| rootdn          "cn=admin,dc=mydomain,dc=tld"
| rootpw          secret2
| index   objectClass     eq
`----

run a ldap browser and editor of your choice, pointed to database
cn=config and bind with cn=config.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung