[Kolab-devel] Re: OpenLDAP performance issues

Steffen Hansen steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue May 10 01:35:58 CEST 2005

On Monday 09 May 2005 16:50, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Sunday 08 May 2005 11:01, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I did some performance testing, sending 5000 mails in approx. 60
> > minutes, while delivering this mails took approx. 68 minutes. I
> > found two bottlenecks, one is amavis the other OpenLDAP. This are
> > the number of OpenLDAP operations and connections
> >
> > The surplus of 1,734 connections and operations are leftovers from
> > a previous small test.
> > By adding a DB_CONFIG[1] file to /kolab/var/openldap/openldap-data
> > and adding 'idlecachesize 3000' to slapd.conf performance of slapd
> > could be increased.
>
> We already have DB_CONFIG file in the upcoming server release.
> It does not contain idecachesize, though.
> Steffen: What about adding this setting also?

If I assume you both mistyped the config directive, we have this already
since a week or so:

# grep idlcachesize /kolab/etc/kolab/templates/slapd.conf.template
idlcachesize       2000

> > An anonymous bind of nobody would reduce the number of searches, as
> > each bind requires two search operations.
> > I just wonder which client is not unbinding cleanly from slapd.
>
> If I remember correctly nobody was done for apache,
> though that does not answer the question.

IIRC there was some problem with anonymous bind that forced the
introduction of the nobody account.

But even if this is not a problem anymore, we still need this nobody
account with slightly elevated rights compared to anonymous --
otherwise we can't have "hidden distribution lists" because they would
be hidden from postfix too.

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se