[Kolab-devel] Problems with Cyrus and Folder Names

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Thu Mar 31 13:25:54 CEST 2005

Hi Berhard,

"(" and ")" fails, this was tested by Till. "@" fails with virtdomain
enabled. "'" also fails, this was reported by 4 different people. "&" is
used as part of the RFC3501 encoding and I cannot remember if they had an
special escape for it.

> The folder with @ is created on the server but setting
> annotations fails.  Folders with ( or ` cannot even be
> created.  AFAICT, kontact doesn't try to escape these
> characters for imap.

So what would you propose as a solution to this.

> > I think this is a maildir issue and the characters are
> limited to what
> > can be saved on the file system.
>
> I doubt it's the file system.  Unix file systems usually have
> very little limitations with regard to file names.  The only
> byte values that are not allowed in a filename, i.e. a
> directory entry, are usually just 0 and the ascii code of /.
> It's no problem to create a file with a name containing all
> the characters you list above.

I blame maildir because I have no problems with folder names on non-maildir
IMAP4 server. It might just be Cyrus issue and not a file system issue.

/me no longer will I blame files systems :)

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557