[Kolab-devel] Question about Postfix and relaying

Sönke Ebert soenke.ebert at freenet.de
Fri Mar 25 19:42:37 CET 2005

Hi,

Dunno if this the right list again but I am not sure where to post it to
instead.

My kolab server is versions beta4, my system is FreeBSD 5.3

All runs well so far.

My question now is about postfix: I can send and receive emails within the
intranet via local address.

But if I want to send a mail outside I am running into problems cause it
will be send from the local address. In the webgui I have a
smarthost/relayhost (which is the ISP’s host) where outgoing mails shall be
send to. That works. But the sender address is the local address so if the
other smtp accepts the mail nobody can answer to it.

Since I am not that familiar with postfix I don’t know where to tell it to
use another sender address if the email address I am sending to is not
within the LAN.

Maybe it could be a good idea to provide a field for that together with the
‘use smarthost’ field in the web-admin. (Then my question would probably be
in the right list).

Could anyone help me with it, please?

I think I’ve read too much about postfix cause I feel completely confused
now.

Thanks a lot.

Sönke