[Kolab-devel] Kolab user management

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 22 14:30:04 CET 2005

Hi Roland,

On Monday 21 March 2005 23:09, Roland Gruber wrote:
> I am one of the authors of LDAP Account Manager (http://lam.sf.net).
> Several of our users requested that they want to manage Kolab accounts
> with our application.

yes, this is interesting as any LDAP tool can be used to manage Kolab's
users.

> Before I start to implement a Kolab plugin I want to check how much work
> this would be and if it is possible at all. Therefore I am looking for
> documentation about the user management for Kolab 2.
>
> I already have the LDAP schema file. But I need more detailed
> information about the meanings and syntax of the LDAP attributes.

Actually the kolab2.schema should have most of the documentation,
but you also might want to check the archtecture paper for the bigger picture.
If possible as more specific questions.

http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolabd/kolabd/kolab2.schema
http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/doc/architecture/

Note that Martin from Erfrakon currently is working on completing the
architecture paper.

> One user also mentioned that there are some scripts involved beside the
> plain LDAP accounts. I could not find documentation about this topic on
> the Kolab homepage.

The architecture documentation explains this, you can also see the principle
design in the very old version of:
http://kroupware.kolab.org/technical-1.0.1-html/c421.html#AEN424

Best for you would be to have a running Kolab2 Server as example.
What happens it that we have regular users and one kolab server object
and each ldap change gets distributes towards the kolabd component.
This is a daemon that will take action when ldap changes,
it creates mailbox accounts in cyrus, sets permissions there
and on seeing the kolabldeleteflag, it will clean up and then delete the objects
from the ldap.

I hope this is a good start into the documentation,
let us know on this list, if you have any questions, or get lost
or we can improve anything.

Best,
	Bernhard