[Kolab-devel] Re: Problem with imap folders and Horde

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Jun 14 21:52:29 CEST 2005

Am Dienstag, 14. Juni 2005 21:31 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

Hi,

> I fears are about this special application
> saving session details of Horde into ldap variables
> on a regular basis.

Yes, this would be total abuse of the LDAP directory. But I see no point in
putting session data in the LDAP directory at all. The plain filesystem is
much better suited for this purpose. Actually putting the session data
in /tmp/ is the default in php.

> I mean that if you need a regular database with a lot of writes,
> ldap is not the best for you. It is optimised for read access
> and has the OID limitations.

And in addition LDAP is incoherent by definition.

But OpenLDAP is very well suited for user and application specific
configuration/preference data.

> > Which is not an advantage as such. Technically to me the web admin GUI
> > shall also be a Kolab client.
>
> The webadmin can only interact with the master,
> thus it breaks the connotation of a client that can access only
> a slave server.

This is a temporary limitation of the current Kolab server implementation
which I hope that we will overcome it in the future.

This limitation is currently chosen because it helped to keep things simpler.

> > Why?  IMHO this is not necessary if done correctly.
>
> See above, it could be that session data is written into it.
> I do not know, thus I asked to be sure.
>
> > Stuart: Please comment which kind of data you intend to store in the LDAP
> > directory.

Lets wait for Stuarts answer.

Yours,
-- martin

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany