[Kolab-devel] Re: Proposal: Encourage downloading kolab from mirrors in a nicer way

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Jun 3 14:03:26 CEST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 2. Juni 2005 13:10 schrieb Sascha Wilde:

Hi Sascha,

> In fact, I suggested modifying obmtool to retrieve a list of known
> up-to-date mirrors from a master server, and than ask the user which
> one to use.

I like this. And propose the following:

obmtool fetches the URL http://www.kolab.org/kolabmirrors.txt

The format of kolabmirrors.txt look slike

server_URL with version after we verified that the mirror is uptodate

E.g.:

http://www.fruitsalad.org/kolab/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-1/
http://www.fruitsalad.org/kolab/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-2/
http://www.fruitsalad.org/kolab/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-3/
http://www.fruitsalad.org/kolab/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-4/
http://www.fruitsalad.org/kolab/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-5/
http://www.fruitsalad.org/kolab/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-rc-1/
http://www.fruitsalad.org/kolab/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-rc-2/
http://max.kde.org:8080/mirrors/ftp.kolab.org/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-1/
http://max.kde.org:8080/mirrors/ftp.kolab.org/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-2/
http://max.kde.org:8080/mirrors/ftp.kolab.org/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-3/
http://max.kde.org:8080/mirrors/ftp.kolab.org/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-4/
http://max.kde.org:8080/mirrors/ftp.kolab.org/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-5/
http://max.kde.org:8080/mirrors/ftp.kolab.org/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-rc-1/
http://max.kde.org:8080/mirrors/ftp.kolab.org/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-rc-2/

This file shall be generated automatically by checking the mirrors so that it
is always uptodate. In addition because it is generated on www.kolab.org it
can easily offer load balancing as obmtool shall use the first match. (Simple
random reordering of the lines)

So the change for obmtool is not that difficult.

- Download http://www.kolab.org/kolabmirrors.txt
- grep for the desired version
- go for the first match
- use this URL for downloading the required packages

In bash syntax this looks like

	wget http://www.kolab.org/kolabmirrors.txt
	URL=`grep $VERSION kolabmirrors.txt | head 1`

> make such a not trivial feature change to obmtool.

This change is no rocket science and definelty better than the current
situation which is refering to an URL which is not working.

> Maybe this is the way to go, but I would do it _after_ the release.

This would mean that it would take more than a year until normal users can
benefit from the effort.

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany