[Kolab-devel] Problems with LDAP accounts in Kolab GUI

Roland Gruber post at rolandgruber.de
Tue Jul 26 17:35:27 CEST 2005

Hi Gunnar,

Gunnar Wrobel schrieb:
>>Any idea where this comes from? There is no "tes" in any attribute.
>>Must there be any relation between cn and sn/givenName?
>
> Yes, the expected relation is that cn = givenName + ' ' + sn. On writing
> a user to ldap the web frontend will set cn to that value. On readout
> from ldap the web frontend will set givenName = cn - len(sn), which in
> your case results in 'tes'.

@Kolab developers: Is there a chance to change this and use the plain
attribute values or would this have any side effects?
If not I will add a note on this topic in my documentation but this
would be suboptimal.

>>Can you change this behaviour so that Kolab also copies the object classes?
>>It would be even better if you did not create a new account but just use
>>ldap_rename() to change the DN.
>
> Did you add your own required objectclasses? In that case I think you
> won't be able to use the web frontend.

Yes, a company sponsored us to support Kolab accounts in LDAP Account
Manager. This allows our users to manage Unix, Samba and Kolab accounts
with one tool.
I think Kolab should at least be aware of that there could be additional
attributes and object classes. Otherwise there would be no reason to use
LDAP as database. The modular concept is one of the great advantages of
LDAP.

Greetings,
Roland