[Kolab-devel] Re: martin: doc/www/src about-kolab-clients.html.m4, 1.15, 1.16

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Jul 1 23:35:31 CEST 2005

Am Freitag, 1. Juli 2005 14:41 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

Hi,

> according to Joon, the Toltec Connector hooks into the same functions
> that are also used by the Exchange connection.
> Joon: Did I understand this correctly?

Joon: Please consult here as I think that Bernhard is on the wrong track here.

Bernhard: In case I can convince you please revert your change to the cvs.

> Martin: Can you explain why you think that the information
> from the vendor are wrong?

Well, this detail was committed by you not by Joon.

I had a brief look at Toltec Connector this week and it looks to me like the
following (please use a fixed width font):

              +---------+     +---------+
              | Exchange|  or |   PST   |
              +----+----+     +----+----+
                   |               |
                   |MAPI           |MAPI
                   |               |
                   +-------+-------+

                  +----+---+-+-+             +--------+
                  |        | | |    IMAP     |        |
                  | Outlook|T|C+-------------+ Kolab2 |
                  |        | | |    HTTP     |        |
                  +--------+-+-+             +--------+

> I revert your change for the time being.

I think that my description is technically correct. Basically the TC is
a plugin in OL which runs in the process space and under the execution control
of OL. The TC checks what is going on in OL and bidirectionally maps the PST
to the IMAP storage. Whenever a change happens to the PST TC is synchronizing
the modification to the IMAP server and vice versa. In addition the TC adds
gui elements to OL .

In contrast to the TC plugin MS exchange uses a different API and does not add
gui elements to OL but enables some otherwise hidden options in OL. OL98-2K
knows about Internet Mail only (IMO) and Corporate/Workgroup or MAPI mode.
Typical MAPI providers are Exchange, MS Mail and cc:Mail.

> > -as tested intensively. Toltec used the same hooks into Outlook
> > -as Exchange. Its vendor Radley Network Technologies has
> > -a stable Outlook connector (Toltec 1) on the market since October 2003.
> > +was tested intensively.
> > +Toltec is a plugin for Microsoft Outlook®.
> > +Its vendor Radley Network Technologies has
> > +a stable Outlook connector (Toltec 1) for Kolab 1
> > +on the market since October 2003.

Yours,
-- martin

--
   Groupware Challenge 13. Juli 2005
   Drei Konzepte - Drei Systeme - Eine Veranstaltung