[Kolab-devel] sending/receiving executables - BANNED

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 11:30:29 CET 2005

Hi all
We have the need to occasionally send and receive executable files via
email, this is becoming a problem, because they are all blocked by
amavisd (?), is there a way to get round this without disabling banned
files?
One way I though of was to "authorise" a user to bypass the check, is
this possible?
I have tried adding the files to zip files, this does not work either,
another way I thought was to encrypt files, but sometimes they are sent
to very unskilled users, who need to be able to just "double click"...

Otherwise can I just remove the banned filename from amavis.conf?
As far as I can understand, I would remove exe from the following in
amavis.conf:

$banned_filename_re = new_RE(
#  qr'^UNDECIPHERABLE$',  # is or contains any undecipherable components
    qr'\.[^.]*\.(exe|vbs|pif|scr|bat|cmd|com|dll)$'i, # double extension
#  qr'.\.(exe|vbs|pif|scr|bat|cmd|com)$'i,           # banned extension
- basic
#  qr'.\.(ade|adp|bas|bat|chm|cmd|com|cpl|crt|exe|hlp|hta|inf|ins|isp|js|
#         jse|lnk|mdb|mde|msc|msi|msp|mst|pcd|pif|reg|scr|sct|shs|shb|vb|
#         vbe|vbs|wsc|wsf|wsh)$'ix,                  # banned extension
- long
#  qr'.\.(mim|b64|bhx|hqx|xxe|uu|uue)$'i, # banned extension - WinZip
vulnerab.
#  qr'^\.(zip|lha|tnef|cab)$'i,                      # banned file(1) types
    qr'^\.exe$'i,                                     # banned file(1) types
    qr'^application/x-msdownload$'i,                  # banned MIME types
    qr'^application/x-msdos-program$'i,
#  qr'^message/partial$'i, qr'^message/external-body$'i, # block rfc2046
);

Should I also remove qr'^application/x-msdos-program$'i,?

Thanks for any hints!

Cheers,