[Kolab-devel] RFC: replies to invitations sent to distribution lists

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Tue Jan 11 23:39:19 CET 2005

Kolabistas,

The problem manifesting itself as issue356 seems to be that in the case of one
or more distribution lists and one or more additional persons as attendees of
an invitation there is no way to figure out which of the attendees is the one
representing "us", in other words, which is the one we are being invited
with. That's important since that entry is the one we need to check for RSVP
(whether we need to send a reply mail) and for the participant role we are
invited in. For the case of the lone attendee being a distribution list we
special case and use that, but as soon as there are other attendees as well,
there is no way to find the right attendee short of an LDAP query, which is
out of the question, I think. Since we ask the user for the identity to use
when answering we can add a new attendee with the right name and email
address, but for the RSVP and role we have to guess.

The attached patch does that guessing by iterating over the list of all
attendees and if the RSVP and role fields of all of them are the same (which
will be the case in the vast majority of cases, as far as we can predict) it
uses those common settings. In case the attendees have conflicting RSVP
settings we err on the side of safety and send an answer, although
potentially the organizer did not ask for one. As for the role we default to
being a required participant, which is probably the most common kind.

I'm fairly sure the Toltec connector has the same issue, and a quick test
confirms that, so I propose to adopt the above described scheme for all Kolab
clients. It should produce expected results in most cases and the
ramifications in those cases were it does not are tolerable, as far as I can
tell.

Thanks for listening,

Till