[Kolab-devel] Re: martin: server/perl-kolab/Kolab-Cyrus Cyrus.pm, 1.4, 1.5

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Jan 11 20:54:20 CET 2005

Am Dienstag, 11. Januar 2005 17:28 schrieb Michael Harlaut:

Hi Michael,

> I can make a lot of tests by using beta and more in a production
> environement, but only if an upgrade is possible without having a lot of
> work on the client-side also (eh, what about the suscription ?). This
> change means hours of work for the next upgrade ...

This is the reason why the current release is called a Beta and not a stable
release. The beta phase is intentionally meant to find such problems and to
be able to fix things before the actual release.

> Same problem with any LDAP schema modification ... the update will be
> harder for people who are interested in testing and perhaps some will
> give up.

The same applies for LDAP schema modifications. Lets find problems during Beta
phase so that we don't have to make incompatible changes after the release.

Beta means feature complete but unstable! Beta phase is meant to help to
create a stable product. Stable here means explicitly that we want to stay
compatible with a stable API for a long time.

> Perhaps it's time to make some definitive choices ... (apart from a
> really serious issue of course : security, data corruption, ...)

This is suitable for release candidates but not for Beta 1.

Regards,
-- martin
P.S.: I am willing to review a patch which allows for backwards compatibility.

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany