[Kolab-devel] kolab hostname: ips don't work?

Jochen Staerk jstaerk at usegroup.de
Sun Feb 6 10:00:55 CET 2005

Hi Martin,

>>maximilian's post reminds me that I just wanted to say: I tried to have
>>kolab installed with a IP instead of a fully-qualified-domain-name.
>>

>Hmm,... why using an IP? Kolab heavily depends on having a fully working DNS
>available.

OK, my situation was that this is on a dedicated server. You're probably
right and I could have set my DNS-Server to the server's IP, but I was
just used to not-use-domain-names because this of course was my test
server and most domains were assigned to the productive system.

I really would not mind, say, setting my DNS-Server to my test server
and then use something like www.usegroup.intranet or so, but this should
be documented. As I said, the error sounds like "script error on line
172 of /tmp/apache.sh" or so, where a "script error on line 172 of
/tmp/apache.sh, please don't use IPs as server name, see
http://www.kolabl.org/misc/dosanddonts.html" would just be more informative.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jochen Stärk