[Kolab-devel] [issue1043] Kolab missing the concept of "email aliases"

Markus Heller markus at relix.de
Fri Dec 23 21:04:54 CET 2005

Hi Fabio,

I support your issue:
Up to now it is only possible to relay emails to internal users through
distribution lists. External users, such as customers cannot be addressed up
to now.

For this reason I support
a) renaming the "distribution list" festure to "user groups" and
b) integrating some kind of mailman or majordomo system where email addresses
can be defined explicitly for relaying in the sense of real distribution
lists.

If kolab is used as a project server, it may be necessary to allow
subscription, too. Your suggestion to create a special type of account is a
nice idea, but what if we stay close to kolab's strategy to use and integrate
standard software components? I would like to emphasize that integrating such
a distribution subsystem would yield far better functonality.

I would also suggest to use majordomo, as it is perl-based. mailman is
python-based, and I suggest to remain with a scripting language base which is
as small as possible in order to maximize maintainability.

Best wishes,
Markus