[Kolab-devel] Submitting Patches

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sat Dec 10 13:02:49 CET 2005

> It is just a new patch.  I'll open a new issue, although I think
> that the initial patch (the new one) should have been picked
> quicker.

I must say that this statement leaves me confused.
As written in my mail send a few minutes ago,
getting the overview and the relation of patches together
helps to make it easier to apply them in general.

In order to help this, I have created a issue topic "patch",
so we can search for all patches that are not handeled yet,
more easily.
I have tried to mark your and Marcus patches.
So as far as I can see issue1010 and issue1021 are left.

> As you have noticed already, after the initial patch I added other
> changes, and I'll do the same for the patch that I'll attach to the
> to be created issue.  As such the patch becomes bigger and bigger and
> more difficult to check.... I prefer small patches, picked up, checked
> and committed quickly.

Technically there are two ways to avoid a patch getting bigger:
* make a patch depending on the first one, because you have made
a copy on each patch creation
* use a branch and non-branch tags, so patches ca always be
 generated and be the same, and keep on adding on top of this.

> Opening issue's for each and every patch is cumbersome and discouraging...!
> I understand that it works and it is easy to discuss the patch, but it
> is not really enjoyable to do a patch 3 times in my free time....

Actually opening an issue makes sure the patch is not forgotten
and (as written in my other email), one issue per feature can have
several patches and we can talk about the relations of these.

> Anyway Marcus and me will continue as we don't want to leave an incomplete
> build system behind.  Hopefully, you'll include the to be submitted patch
> and the patch to perl-kolab in the next beta (openpkg 2.5).

We have not done a beta for 2.1 yet because of your patches
and Bernhard H. and I were thinking about another snapshot next week.

> This patch and
> the one to perl-kolab finished the autoconfiscation foundation, after that
> it is only building upon the foundation....

This comment is an example why I want a better overview,
it is hard to find out about which patches those comments are,
my hope was that issue numbers and comment in there makes this more
transparent.

	Bernhard