[Kolab-devel] Re: What is the policy for the ChangeLog file?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Thu Dec 8 12:36:04 CET 2005

Am Dienstag, 6. Dezember 2005 20:00 schrieb Richard Bos:
> Op dinsdag 6 december 2005 18:30, schreef Bernhard Reiter:

> > CVS will give me a log and a diff if I use the right commands
> > to find out what had happened.
>
> The ChangeLog is distributed and installed in the doc directory.  cvs/svn
> logs and diff aren't.  That is another point of using the ChangeLog file.

It would be possible to create the changelog during packaging,
like other files which are distributed, but not held in the repository
directly.

> I use svn and there is still a ChangeLog needed...  See above, the
> ChangeLog file is distributed, as such it is an easy way for your (paying)
> customers what has changed where precisely...

Usually a changelog is too detailed to be of any use,
except for a developer.
Customers sometimes  have the needs to look stuff up in there,
but they also find methods to access the repository.

Bernhard