[Kolab-devel] development questions

Miguel Angelo Rozsas miguel at rozsas.xx.nom.br
Tue Aug 16 20:33:40 CEST 2005

Hi there,

I am considering to use Kolab as a framework to develop new modules that have
a high degree of integration with the data stored from calendars, address
book, etc.

I am exploring the idea to use kolab + additional modules to act as a
customized backoffice application.

Could you provide me with introductory information to handle with this task ?
What is, in your opinion, the major difficulty I will face on ?
What is the best developer's profile to work on kolab ? C/C++ or LAMP (Linux,
Apache, MySQL, P-language)
Which is the main development language for kolab ? There is support for
arbitrary languages other the main one ?
Do you know if there is a support for plugable module or whatever ?
Do you know if there is a template system to render HTML pages, like Smarty
PHP template engine ?
Do you know if there is a abstraction layer for data access like PEARDB ?
There is support for internationalization (foreign languages other than
English in the GUI) ?
Is the API fully documented ?
There is a starter kit for lazy developers ;-) ? Serious, I mean a kind of
tutorial for development in kolab ?

I appreciate any ideas and comments.

best regards,