[Kolab-devel] Upgrading to db 4.3

Buchan Milne bgmilne at obsidian.co.za
Tue Aug 2 17:04:44 CEST 2005

Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> Buchan Milne <bgmilne at obsidian.co.za> writes:
>

>>AFAIK, most OpenLDAP developers haven't been happy with 4.3.27, 4.3.28
>>may be better, but none of the developers have yet noted that it is any
>>better. I haven't yet tried myself ...
>

> Thanks for the info.  I've googled a bit on this now.  Some of the
> results are the following mails (one even from this very list :) ):
>
> http://www.kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-devel/2005-May/003598.html
>
>    Upgrading to BerkeleyDb-4.3.27 is not advised yet as there are some
>    locking issues with transactional logs, patches have been provided to
>    Sleepycat.
>
> I don't know whether that may have changed in 4.3.28 which we would be
> using in 2.0.1.
>

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/03/msg01787.html
>

>    You cannot use BDB 4.3 to load databases past a few million entries
>    into OpenLDAP.  The way BDB handles logs changed enormously between
>    BDB 4.2 and BDB 4.3, and its log management is not stable, often
>    running out of space.  In addition, numerous users have written the
>    OpenLDAP list complaining of issues they've hit using BDB 4.3 with
>    OpenLDAP 2.2.  The solution was for them to move back to BDB
>    4.2.52+patches.

The database loading issue should be addressed by using the quickload
option in slapadd, available in 2.3.x and as a patch for 2.2.x, but
requiring db-4.3 (or with a patch for db-4.2).

However, unless someone is going to do significant testing of OpenLDAP,
IMHO using 4.2.52.4 would be best.

> One the whole there seems to no reason to upgrade bdb to 4.3 and some
> reasons to stick with 4.2.  OTOH, 4.3 is the version used in both
> OpenPKG 2.3 and 2.4 and we need to upgrade to 2.4 to benefit from
> security updates from OpenPKG.

Well, I still wonder about anyone providing *only* 4.3 (and not 4.2).

But, it is possible to build OpenLDAP against an internal copy of
BerkeleyDB (in fact, it's so commonly required that the Mandriva spec
file allows for this by a macro, and will default to this on most older
releases of the distribution). There are some issues to take note of ...
but it's not difficult to implement.

>>BTW, what OpenLDAP version would be included?
>

> OpenLDAP 2.2.27

2.3.x of course does have some nice features, but taking advantage of
them would be a lot of work (although taking advantage of them would
reduce the complexity of Kolab quite a bit I think ..).

But, we're sticking with 2.2.27 for now as well (though 2.3 is available
in contrib).

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Buchan Milne                              Systems Architect
Obsidian Systems                  http://www.obsidian.co.za
B.Eng          RHCE (803004789010797),LPIC-1 (LPI000074592)