[Kolab-devel] Non-unique UIDs

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Fri Sep 24 10:44:32 CEST 2004

Hi all,

We have come upon a problem with the ACL folders of Kolab2.

Currently, KOrganizer has a very basic assumption that an event must have
a unique UID. Now consider this scenario:

1) Secretary and Boss both agree on a meeting invitation and get the event
stored in the calendar folders.

2) Boss gives access to his calendar folder to the secretary.

3) Secretary now has two folders that contain an event with identical
UIDs.

Currently, KOrganizer (or rather libkcal) will just not load the second
event. So, depending on the order of loading, the secretary will see one
or the other event. Joon, do you know what Outlook does in this case?

What can be done to fix this problem?

I see two possibilities:

1) We demand that whenever the user chooses to see other peoples folders,
he disables his own first

2) We fix the applications to be able to handle it.

1) has the problem that the user is bound to fail doing this. And I'm not
sure it will always work with group folders and shared folders (those
can't be said to be another person).

We might be able to do 2), by changing the way we store an event. So when
the user accepts an invitation, we make a new event with a new UID and
keep the scheduling UID for reference. But I think this is more easily
described than done.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark