[Kolab-devel] Changes to ftp.kolab.org

Thomas Lotterer thl at dev.de.cw.com
Wed Sep 1 11:29:19 CEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004, Martin Konold wrote:
> [...] I noticed that [the participants of a training] have enourmeous
> problems with the current naming and structure of ftp.kolab.org. I
> therefore ask to change it for easier navigation which basically
> avoids people to understand that they have to download multiple
> directories.

I am aware of the problem, too. Half a year ago I tried to create a
perfect FTP structure for ZfOS. It turned out that there are some
requirements incompatible to each other. So, like often in life, I ended
up with a compromise. An example structure was created and presented
to selected people for review. So far feedback was very positive. The
reason the idea was never implemented was that some issues remain.

The structure should be very clear for the end user to find the
appropriate download. The only thing you should know in advance is that
I'm going to give "releases", which I call collections, a (city) name
suffix for easy human to human communication.

Please go ahead and attempt to
- find the latest "athen" binary updates for sparc64-solaris8
- find the genesis "athen" source RPM of flex
- find the 2nd "athen" binary update tar for ix86-suse8.2
- find the "athen" updates under development as of 2004-12-34
- find the latest "berlin" binary updates for ix86-gentoo1.4.3
- find the latest "berlin" binary updates for sparc64-solaris9
- find the most CURRENT snapshot

The entry point is ftp://ftp.zfos.org/TEST/brewery/kolab/
ALL DATA IS VOID AND INCOMPLETE! Structure counts.
Have fun and tell me what you think about it.

I wrote a document describing very much in detail why the structure is
exactly designed *that* way. There is a reason for everything. Nothing
is arbitrary. It's a good idea to review this confidential document
after three month for myself and turn it into a public document. I'll do
that now and post it later today. In the meantime, examine what I have
to offer so far.

--
Thomas.Lotterer at cw.com, Cable & Wireless