[Kolab-devel] Recomended Distro

Matt Douhan matt at fruitsalad.org
Sun Oct 17 10:04:39 CEST 2004

On Saturday 16 October 2004 19.46, Shawn Everett wrote:
> I would greatly apreciate any advice to working towards a working Kolab
> installation.  What Linux distribution should I use?  Where should I get
> Kolab from?  What should my first steps be?

With the risk of this turning into a flame war, the best option is always to
use the distro you feel most comfortable with, cause that will be the one you
know how to configure and secure.

For me that is FreeBSD, for others it is SUSE 9.2, Debian or RedHat the
community have working Kolab servers on all these OS's

The way I normally install kolab2 is as follows

1. create /usr/kolab and symlink /kolab -> /usr/kolab
2. Download obmtool and obmtool.conf from
http://www.fruitsalad.org/kolab/server/development/current/sources/
3. chmod 755 obmtool
4. Edit obmtool.conf to use my local mirror (this is not really needed unless
you use a local mirror)
5. run ./obmtool kolab and wait
6. run /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap -b
7. run /kolab/bin/openpkg rc all start
8. login to https://your.host.foo/admin
9. ENJOY kolab2

rgds