[Kolab-devel] Multiple identities and event handling

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Nov 12 15:40:36 CET 2004

On Monday 08 November 2004 15:11, Till Adam wrote:
> Kolaborators,
>
> looking into issue511 today I realized the following problem:
>
> Imagine a secretary called Dave and his boss, Vanessa. Dave has Vanessa's
> identity set up, since he needs to send mail on her behalf. He's also
> authorized to schedule meetings for here, even ones where she is the
> organizer.
>
> Scenario one:
>
> Dave sets up a meeting with Vanessa as the organizer, and some attendees.
> He stores the event in her calendar folder, to which he has write access.
> No mail is sent out, since the organizer is one of the current user's
> identities. All is well.

It already behaved wrongly in this situation, because Dave want to
send out invitation emails "as Vanessa" at this point.

>Now he changes the event, which prompts a warning,
> since he is not the organizer, which is the issue described in 511. Ok, no
> problem, let's change it so that this warning is only shown when the
> organizer is not one of our identities.

As I wrote within issue511 msg2837
maybe we need to have an identity you want to be for each folder setting.

> With that change done, let's look at
>
> Scenario two:
>
> Dave gets invited by Vanessa to his yearly review meeting, she is the
> organizer, he is an attendee. He moves the event in his calendar. No
> warning is issued, since the organizer is one of our identities, after the
> change above, mail is sent to Dave himself, since he is an attendee, and no
> mail is sent to Vanessa, since the organizer never gets notified, she
> should be the only one capable of changing the event, after all. This is
> clearly wrong.
>
> Ok, changing an event one is not the organizer of is not something you
> would normally do, but the two instances of the event look the same, so
> it's impossible to tell which one is the one in Vanessa's calendar, and
> which one is the private one, and it happens that one accidently moves a
> meeting by a slip of the mouse, in which case the warning is an important
> cancel point. If no warning is issued, the event will simply silently be
> somewhen else for Dave, but not for Vanessa.

True.
Again if we know which identity we want to be for a folder, we could issue that warning.
(I am probably missing something....)