[Kolab-devel] Clarification regarding Windows and Kolab Legacy Mode

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Thu May 20 21:14:20 CEST 2004

Greeting,

Please bear with me if my question does not pertain directely to Kolab
server, but I think people here may be able to help me.

I am a Horde user and administrator.  I am currently setting up
Kronolith.  I want Outlook users to be able to retrieve Free/Busy
information (in vCalendar format) from Kronolith.  This is possible with
the horde/kronolith/fb.php script, which return the Free/Busy in the
format expected by Outlook.

So far it work well, expect if I am trying to access the F/B across
HTTPS.  For example, configuring Outlook to retrieve the F/B from
http://myserver/horde/kronolith/fb.php?c=egoyer work, where
https://myserver/horde/kronolith/fb.php?c=egoyer does not.

What does Kolab have to do with this, may you ask ?  Well, searching
Google for possible solution or explanations of my problem, I found a
reference to it in the Kolab Free Software Groupware Project
Architecture Paper v1.1.  At
http://kroupware.org/architecture-1.1/c180.html#AEN295 (table 3-3 under
section 3.1.4), you can read the following regarding accessing F/B from
Windows clients :

     "Retrieve free-busy list of that user (filename is computable:
<user>.vcf) by HTTPS or, in the windows case with HTTP (Kolab legacy mode)"

So my question is : are you aware of the reason why Microsoft clients (I
presume Outlook) have to access the F/B via HTTP instead of HTTPS ?  Is
this specific to some client/version combination ?  Is there a known
workaround beside using plain HTTP ?

I'll be grateful if someone could provide insights or pointers to
explain this behavior, even if this off-topic for the list.  In return,
I'll gladly share any work-around or solution I may find, if you have
any interest.

Thank you very much.