[Kolab-devel] Biolerplate

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed May 12 17:24:00 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 13:54, Stuart Bingë wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 May 2004 13:43, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > We should keep a list of authors in each file, can you readd it?
>
> I can put it back, however I'm not sure who exactly to add :-). While
> Tassilo, Martin and Achim developed the original code, me and Stephan
> basically gutted their code and came out with the new daemon and perl-kolab
> modules, which are now the code that's in CVS. For this reason I originally
> had "Copyright Code Fusion, based on code by erfrakon" in the files, but
> I'm not sure whether this is suitable?

My suggestion is to separate authorship and copyrights.
So keep a header with the authors for each file.

To be an author you need to have written a significant
portion of code lines (significant regarding copyright).
So if there are original lines from Erfrakon in, keep the lines of the authors
and add yours. If you rewrote everything or made a new file,
put in the new authors.

> Another reason for me moving this out of each file was that the header was
> getting rather large with all the copyright holders' information, so I
> thought it would be easier to move all this out into a single location and
> simply refer readers of the source code to this file, in the same way we
> refer people to COPYING for the license information.

We should think about if we assign the copyrights to one organisation
so it can legally maintain the code.
As long as we do not have that, it is better to have the full list.

> > With continental copyright law there is a difference between
> > the author's right and the exploitation right holders.
> > So I consider it an advantage to have the list of authors
> > and the small license information in each header.
>
> That's why I created CONTRIBUTORS - as a place for copyright information to
> be stored. It is basically the brother of COPYING, in that it describes who
> the authors actually are and what rights they have (where COPYING describes
> what rights everyone else has).
>
> What do you think?

Let us have CREDITS
(for people that have been active parts of the project)
and CONTRIBUTORS
(for people that contributed stuff but were a real project member.)

Is that fine?