[Kolab-devel] CVS - New Modules and Tools (releng, devel, utils)

Steffen Hansen steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon May 3 22:05:30 CEST 2004

On Monday 03 May 2004 16:45, Stephan Buys wrote:

> If you want to develop, just check out 'devel' and start hacking
> (remember to 'opa /kolab') and be sure to uninstall the perl-kolab

What does that mean 'opa /kolab' ?

> RPM that you're using if you want to develop using perl-kolab; as
> long as the CVS versions of Kolab.pm and all other modules are in the
> current directory (i.e. devel/kolab) and you have no other instances
> of perl-kolab in your PERL module path, PERL will load the CVS ones.
> This means you don't have to keep on re-installing RPMs if you want
> to work on perl-kolab or the daemon; all you do is run ./kolabd from
> devel/kolab, and all your changes will be used. All the files assume
> you have Kolab installed in '/kolab'.

Ok, so for development, no perl-kolab or kolab rpm should be installed.

> If you want to release then check out 'releng' (as well as 'devel').
> There are three directories in here; kolab, perl-kolab and obmtool.
> obmtool contains the obmtool.conf that we will use, whereas kolab and
> perl-kolab contain all the files used for creating a Kolab or
> Perl-Kolab release. In order to release you'll have to copy the
> devtool scripts in 'utils/devtool' to the relevant directory, then
> run './devtool release'. This will copy all the source files from
> devel into their release locations within the current directory and
> roll the necessary tarballs.

Can you give some examples about how to use devtool and shtool so I can
get up to speed and merge in my stuff (and implement the new features)?

The first "showstopper" for me was running devtool. It needs
devtool.func from utils and devtool.conf from releng and it seems to
want both to be in the current dir.

> Not everything relating to using devtool to release is in; we'll have
> to considerably customise devtool.conf for each module (there are a
> lot of FIXMEs around the place), however for the moment the basics
> are there. Thanks go to Ralf Engelschall and Thomas Lotterer for this
> release system. (Note that you'll need the 'cvs2cl' program in order
> for the CVS log to ChangeLog/Changes functionality to work).

Where do I get cvs2cl?

> Another item; the code in here is the latest available from OpenPKG,
> meaning all the changes made to the existing code in CVS are not
> here. We felt it best to use the latest-possible currently released
> code as a base; from here we can merge in the small changes Steffen
> and the others have made, as well as the new template system that we
> have waiting in the wings (should be coming next). The current
> perl-kolab code in the server module is relatively out of sync
> compared to the code that is available from OpenPKG - I think Steffen
> imported a relatively old release.

We took the newest released code and merged in.

> Other developers may also want to move some of the directories in the
> current server module over to the new system as well; I'm not sure
> how everyone feels about this though.

Most of those are obsolete as the required changes are in OpenPKG. The
only one I can think of that we need that might not have been
integrated would be the groupfile_hack patch for cyrus. I'll import
whatever I need soonish.

> Otherwise, enjoy! Comments, etc, are most welcome. Hopefully this

Thanks!

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se