[Kolab-devel] Kolab Bootstrap redesign

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Fri Mar 12 12:05:30 CET 2004

Hi Bernard,
> On Wednesday 10 March 2004 16:12, Stephan Buys wrote:
> > Here is a high-level re-design proposal for the kolab bootstrap
> > process. Any comments welcome...
> >
> > http://www.toltec.co.za/downloads/kolab-bootstrap.pdf
>
> Is this "bootstrap process" something that will run each time
> I restart Kolab or does it run only once when setting Kolab
> up for the first time?

It will only be run once at setup.

> The document should probalby refer
> to the runtime configuration. Will
> http://kroupware.org/technical-1.0.1-html/c421.html
> still be true?

Yes, the bootstrap process is only used to initially populate the LDAP
server. One aim is to separate the gathering of the initial setup data from
the bootstrap process.

The runtime configuration will still be the same.

> > We want to make a Fedora based installer for Kolab which is where the
> > Anaconda definition of the kolab.bootrap file comes in.
>
> It would be interesting to know the reasons for the Anaconda
> installer and how it will work.
> Using an OpenPKG 2.0 Kolab Server package, there are two
> difficulties left:
> 	- How to disable or reconfigure other services using the same ports
> 	on the machine
> 	- download a lot of files and start the script I image
> an Anaconda installer addressing these issues, but not more.
> Am I correct?

The idea behind the anaconda installer is to create a *minimal* :-) install
of Fedora and then add the OpenPKG packages for Kolab to the system. ( ISO -
400MB ). I choice fedora, (a) because I know it well, (b) anaconda, (c) it
is a widely used system. This might change as we go along.

This will make it much easier for non expert users to install the Kolab
server. Currently you really need to know what you are doing to get Kolab
running. ( Thanks to ZFOS for the wonderful work they have done to improve
this. )

Most people who want to move from Windows to Linux(Kolab) find the install
of Linux( a unknown OS to them ) and installing Kolab to challenging.

Regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557