[Kolab-devel] Re: Groupware object storage specfication

Stuart Bingë list at codefusion.co.za
Fri Mar 5 09:01:47 CET 2004

On Thursday 04 March 2004 16:59, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2004 12:25, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> > Note that the IMAP storage in KMail can read the multipart mime messages
> > already, it just doesn't store it this way. If it sees a message with
> > mime parts, it will go through all of them and see which one has an
> > iCalendar part and use that one.
>
> Stuart: Put even short this means the storage standard is a
> correct MIME email having a content type text/calender is fine.
> The RFCs for MIME should be the right source.
>
> Does that answer your question?

Yes, thank you Bernhard and Bo, this answers my question. Currently I'm just
dumping the objects into the mail messages' body, and setting the
Content-type to the relevant value (in the same manner as the KDE client does
it). I am not intelligently handling the messages though, and can only load
messages of this type.

However, if the KDE Client can also handle proper MIME messages (including
multipart) then I will abandon my handling code and rather use the PEAR MIME
classes to create/parse any valid MIME message (including multipart).

I was a bit confused - the current object format is a valid MIME message (as
dictated by the Kolab specification), however I wasn't sure if the KDE client
(which we try and ensure interoperability with) could handle any other MIME
format, i.e. multipart messages - the standard also specifies that each
object should have a 'text representation'.

After looking at the KDE clients' output I was wondering if either the KDE
client was not adhering to the spec, or if the spec itself had changed
somehow and I was not aware of it. However, now I know that the spec is in
fact being adhered to, and also how to properly handle the objects. Thank you
both for clearing this up.

Stuart Bingë
  - Code Fusion  <http://www.codefusion.co.za/>

   EMail: s.binge at codefusion.co.za