[Kolab-devel] Kolab, LDAP, and Unix acounts

Buchan Milne bgmilne at obsidian.co.za
Wed Jun 2 18:22:05 CEST 2004

Alexandre Boeglin wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I would like to install Kolab on one server, and this server would
also act as
| an X/VNC server.
|
| Thus, having the Kolab and Unix accounts (using pam-ldap) synchronized
in LDAP
| would really help me.
|
| So, i'd like to add some features to Kolab's web interface :
|
| - When an user is created, it curently inherits from the objectClass
| "inetOrgPerson" (for Kolab). I want to make it inherit also from
| "posixAccount", "shadowAccount" (for Unix accounts) and maybe from
| "sambaSamAccount" (for Samba).

There is no need for this, you can add these (auxiliary) objectclasses
as is. You will notice samba already uses inetOrgPerson when adding
accouts (since it needs a structural objectclass).

| - There is no groups (at least in Kolab1). I would like to add the
ability in
| the interface to manage groups (add/remove groups, add/remove users in
| groups), using the objectClass "posixGroup" for the moment, buy I
think it
| could integrate with group ACL i've read about in Proko2 announce.

IMHO this is not necessary. If your samba setup is done right you can
use User Manager for Domains or smbldap-tools for this. It would be
nice, but rather first fix the real issues preventing interoperation.

| Now, my questions are :
|
| - Is someone already working on this?
|
| - Does someone else think that this could be usefull?

Yes, I will not deploy Kolab to production systems until it does, since
my LDAP systems already have full LDAP/Samba support (and even more on
some systems in pre-production).

| And is there any chance
| for it to be integrated into Kolab one day? (else, it would be far
easier for
| me to write a separate interface than to sync my changes again and
again with
| Kolab's interface)

IMHO the two biggest obstacles currently are:
- -Kolab trashing previous slapd.conf's (or user edits). This is the
reason I don't run Kolab on my own laptop at present (since it
overwrites all my changes all the time unnecessarily)
- -Namespace conflicts should be avoided (using the person's name as the
naming attribute is ridiculous as it is not guaranteed to be unique).

Of course, I am assuming that we have a schema that interoperates with
other schemas ...

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Buchan Milne                      Senior Support Technician
Obsidian Systems                  http://www.obsidian.co.za
B.Eng                                RHCE (803004789010797)