Kolab templates (Was: Re: [Kolab-devel] Kolab-CF and Template file handling)

Thomas Lotterer thl at dev.de.cw.com
Fri Jan 23 23:15:51 CET 2004

> [...] Last but not least, there is a smoldering topic which is worth
> it's own thread.

Here we are.

Kolab currently throws away the default configuration that comes with
the OpenPKG packages. The concept is to deliver own templates, merging
in user customizations then deploy the final configuration to the proper
destination.

The templates I've seen, as far as they can be still identified, come
from ancient versions of OpenPKG v1.1 or v1.2. Since then, OpenPKG
updated many open source applications and with them the default config.
Kolab keeping it's own templates continously runs the risk of getting
out of sync here.

I do neither have a quick nor easy to implement suggestion to remedy
this behaviour. The best I can think of is that the Kolab install no
longer comes with rigid templates but takes the OpenPKG defaults and
applies transformations to them. I don't have a much more concrete
solution in my brain, yet.

The metatemplates Stephan is thinking of are just another
transformation. So would be some sort of a INCLUDE to gather
configuration data from various sources.

Just dreaming.

--
Thomas.Lotterer at cw.com, Cable & Wireless