[Kolab-devel] openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src.sh missing?

Thomas Lotterer thl at dev.de.cw.com
Wed Dec 22 12:14:42 CET 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004, Bernhard Herzog wrote:

> Martin Brodbeck <Martin.Brodbeck at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:
>
> > MISSSRC: openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src.sh
> > MISSPKG: openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.ix86-fedora2-kolab.sh
> > MISSING: none
> > SURPLUS: none
> > SUMMARY: NODE=test; CMD=kolab; DATE=2004-12-17/13:27:04; HASX11=yes; DONE
> >
> > The file openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src.sh actually is present. So what is going
> > wrong here?
>
> You should be able get the MISSSRC and MISSPKG to "none" by moving
> openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src.sh and openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.ix86-fedora2-kolab.sh
> to /kolab/RPM/PKG
>
> I don't know what the MISSPKG or MISSSRC actually mean [...]
I'm sorry about not having had the time to document this. The MISSSRC
lists source RPM package files missing from /kolab/RPM/PKG and the
MISSPKG lists binary RPM package files missing from /kolab/RPM/PKG. You
do not need them at this place to get started but it's a good idea to
have/keep them *somewhere*.

The philosophy is that the binaries allow you to recover from failed
upgrades in the future. The sources allow you to rebuild packages with
different options or after a basis library was upgraded, i.e. think of
a zlib security update which will ship a new zlib but you must rebuild
existing packages that use zlib from source. Both kinds of package files
will help you reproducing the setup, i.e. to create a lab, a staging
server, setup another subsidary etc. It's easy to collect/keep the
packages during setup but it might be hard to get them when some urgent
situation arises later. It's all about planning for the future.

Only the MISSING list is important for the actual setup because it's
build from querying the RPM database of installed packages.

It should be noted that the "openpkg" package is somewhat special
because it comes in two formats: RPM and shell. The former requires an
existing installation and can be used for upgrades, downgrades, undoes
etc. The latter is required when you start from scratch and simply do
not yet have an "openpkg rpm" command available. It is noteworthy that
obmtool tries to fetch both even only one is required. The OpenPKG build
mechanism creates both if you start from scratch but it only creates the
"RPM format" on upgrades.

In the particular case listed at the top of this message I assume
someone started with openpkg-2.2.0 and then upgraded to openpkg-2.2.1.
The "shell format" is missing and this does not cause any harm for the
setup. I assume the old openpkg-2.2.0-2.2.0.src.sh is lingering around
and can be used to restart from scratch and continue with an upgrade.
The path of *starting* with openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src.sh (or binary)
is not available here. No problem now. But might become a problem if
reinstallation (example reasons see above) is required in the future.

--
Thomas.Lotterer at cw.com, Cable & Wireless