[Kolab-devel] Running freshclam by cron?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Aug 11 10:54:48 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 22:48, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Montag, 9. August 2004 17:32 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > If someone manages to get you a different pattern in,
> > it is another attach vector which might be combined with others.
> > (Update to no patterns and then spam/fake.)
>
> No this is not possible as clamav patterns are digitally signed. I
> therefore claim that while your argument is reasonable in general it is
> irrelevant in this special case.

It is a matter of overview perception as with many security things,
just the information that this system tries to update with freshclam
is leaking information.

You may be right in that there is no major gain in making this
configurable and off by default security wise, but there is one in perception.
I will not like _any_ system to automatically get stuff by default,
no matter what it is.