[Kolab-devel] Re: horde ldap preferences backend

Lorenzo Musizza lorenzo.musizza at 1000asa.com
Wed Sep 24 12:23:34 CEST 2003

> Hi,
>
> Please send it through and we will have a look at it. Of course changing
> LDAP is not a decision that would be taken lightly, but if it makes sense
> we should look at it.

I simply changed the lines (from my previous post)
to create_user.php, and included the horde.schema you find in /horde/scripts/ldap in slapd.conf.
The ldap entries will be extented with the horde attributes (hordePerson objectclass), I don't think it will be dangerous in any way.
It will allow to store the horde backend on ldap. You need to change the
horde/config/horde.php to something like that:

// This is an example configuration for an LDAP preference backend.
// The schemas needed for ldap are in horde/scripts/ldap.  For more
// information see sources and comments in horde/lib/Prefs/ldap.php.
$conf['prefs']['driver'] = 'ldap';
$conf['prefs']['params']['hostspec'] = 'localhost';
$conf['prefs']['params']['port'] = '389';
$conf['prefs']['params']['basedn'] = 'dc=yourkolabserver,dc=yourcompany,dc=it';
$conf['prefs']['params']['uid'] = 'mail';

Of course Horde, IMP, Kronolith, etc will not work very well or at all without a preferences backend, and "session" backend imho is not a solution.
Now all Horde modules work flawlessly on my setup and each user can store preferences in his own ldap account.
I am using this setup in a production environment since a week and all work fine.
I also changed some lines in order to have md5 crypted passwords in my ldap.
I am now working on adding turba distribution list support from the new turba, but I'm having some troubles because the distribution lists feature doesn't
work out of the box with an ldap based addressbok.
I am also working on multi alias support trough the kolab web interface.

> Also, we have been unsuccessfull with downloading your auto forwarding
> and auto response work from the ftp site you listed.

we had a long provider downtime (never trust HDSL lines in Italy), the site is up again now.

Keep up the good work,
Lorenzo Musizza
--
"The price of freedom is responsibility, but it's a bargain, because freedom is priceless." - Hugh Downs.
Learn to live freely, learn GNU/Linux! :-)

Lorenzo Musizza - RedHat Linux Certified Engineer (RHCE)
web developer - Linux sysadmin
1000 ASA - http://www.1000asa.com