[Kolab-devel] Horde: Diego

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Fri May 30 12:01:42 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 01:05, Adriaan Putter wrote:

> Diego,
>
> To whom you spoken at Horde? Could you CC me in future please?

Gladly!! You can also subscribe to {imp,horde,dev}@lists.horde.org if
you like.

> I see there is alot of code difference in the current HEAD as the latest
> stable releases. What are the release dates on this? What would be best
> to do something compatible with the current stable releases or the next
> release?

IMP 3.2.1 (latest stable) is about 2 months old (or thereabouts) - so is
most of the latest stable stuff.  Stable releases usually come in
bunches - everything gets stabilized within a 2-3 week period and
released as new versions (at least that's what I've observed).  Release
cycles are usually 3-4 months (that I've seen)

> I know where to get the IMP imap stream and can write a patch for the
> current stable IMP release to retrieve that stream. But it will be
> useless if we decide to focus on the newest releases?

Well...if we do that, we may come up with work that is immediately
useful, but NOT compatible and perhaps even conflicting (not to mention
redundant) with work that has already been done - such as accepting
vcards into the contact list directly (via turba api), accepting icals
into the calendar (via kronolith), etc.

This work is already there from what I see, so it's a choice between
duplicating efforts just to get our stuff going, or going with the flow
of the new release.

> Do you have any information on that *getStream* function from IMP?

The getStream that's implemented in CVS is only usable for the CVS
version because it uses a specific class (IMAP.php) that only exists in
CVS - not in stable.  Similar functionality could be built, but as I
said it could end up being a waste of time.

I'm still trying to get the CVS version of the stuff working - if I
can't get it working today I'll send a BIG cry for help to the Horde
guys.

For now, I think our best strategy is to focus on building the drivers
against the CVS version.  The getStream() is already there, so we can
easily use it for our purposes.  Also, since we're developing specific
drivers, the functionality that others are building for inter-component
integration will (should) automagically work with our stuff.

That's why I originally thought Horde was a good pick for a web gui -
99% of the work is done, and the architecture encourages abstraction
through driver layers.

Anyway - I'll gladly keep you in the loop with all the stuff I discuss
with those guys.

Best

* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *