[Kolab-devel] Re: List setup, reply-to header?

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Mon May 19 07:42:26 CEST 2003

On Sunday 18 May 2003 17:03, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 10:15:39AM +0200, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 May 2003 18:17, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > > if the discussion is so old,
> > > can you point me to a document where the arguments are rebutted?
> > > I'm interested in that, because so far
> > > I haven't seen better arguments.
> > >
> > > And we both haven't dicussed the topic in the past.
> > > If it really makes you unhappy, I'll do it,
> > > but not based on argument from your side. :)
> >
> > http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml
>
> I know that document, but it does not take into account
> the following arguments:
> 	All reasonable email clients have a list-reply options
> 	List-Post headers work with modern mailinglist managers like Mailman.
> 	Additionally there is Mail-Follow-up to.

I'm not saying that document is right, I just gave it because you said
"can you point me to a document where the arguments are rebutted?".

> KMail's list-reply option is a bit suboptimal AFAIK,
> because it cannot detect mailinglists in normal folders
> which do not have a List-Post: header.
> Recognising List-Post: header is new, I don't know since
> what version.
>
> If people using KMail still have a technical problem with it
> we should file a wish and help fixing it.
> (Okay this based on a personal observation
> that many group replies from mailinglist I get
> come from KMail users, which obviosuly hit group reply.
> Like I did with this email.
> And the only strong requests for adding reply-to: headers
> on mailinglists I run come from lists where many KMail users are on.)
> :)
>
> Seriously, I don't see the arguments rebutted,
> but if this makes the majority happy, I'll add such a header.
> Bo, I'll count your voice for adding that header.

Actually I don't care about it - I think both setting Reply-To and not
setting it has bad points.

And BTW, I usually just set the reply address in a filter in KMail if I
really want to have it.

Bo.

- --

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark