[Kolab-devel] Analysis of large calendar performance hit

Stephan Buys s.buys at codefusion.co.za
Wed Jul 30 08:38:25 CEST 2003

Hello,

It might be worthwhile looking at the IMAP SEARCH command
for retrieving calendar entries.

In RFC 2060, in section 6.4.4 (SEARCH). the following is mentioned
as a search parameter:

HEADER <field-name> <string>
                     Messages that have a header with the specified
                     field-name (as defined in [RFC-822]) and that
                     contains the specified string in the [RFC-822]
                     field-body.

These header fields could be set when saving/updating messages
in IMAP from the Kolab client. They can then be used as search
criteria.

A simple string encoding for the date could be used, for example:
An RFC 822 Extension field could be used as such:

X-CalStart 20030730
X-CalEnd 20030731

Search can then be done for specific days.

Just an idea :-)

Regards,
Stephan