[Kolab-devel] Webpages improvements

Stephan Buys s.buys at codefusion.co.za
Tue Jul 22 21:20:05 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 18:35, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > all the users in my organization.
> >
> > A bit clearer?
>
> Yes.
> What I ask myself is:
> Wouldn't be more appropriate to use the LDAP
> replication mechanisms here then?

Agreed. Couple of problems here with Kolab 1.0

1) The Kolab structure is "hard-coded". I would highly recommend
that one of our near-future goals for Kolab be decoupling Kolab from
fixed points in the LDAP tree.
- Specifically, one should be able to - through the configuration file/s - to
customize each component's location within any LDAP tree. This way we
can have several Kolab servers and their associated folders living in one
LDAP tree. We can then use a Master->Slave replication scheme with LDAP
replication to achieve a organizational-wide directory.

2) Because of the above-mentioned limitation I decided to use e-mail as
the transport mechanism for LDAP replication. This means that I do not need
to worry about connection tracking, etc. SMTP is my transport and Postfix
takes care of the problems assocaited. I could have used direct LDAP
connections between the servers but the issues like timeouts, etc. become
an issue.

--
Stephan  Buys
Technical Director