[Kolab-devel] Webpages improvements

Stephan Buys s.buys at codefusion.co.za
Tue Jul 22 15:39:20 CEST 2003

Here goes the explanation for DirSync :-)

First terminology:
Mailbox/User - this is a user added through the Kolab Admin
interface as a User. Ie. They appear directly under
the base_dn and have mailboxes in Cyrus on their
server.
Address - this is a VCARD. Added through the Kolab
Admin interface and resides under cn=external under
the base_dn.
Addressbook peers - other servers (not your mailbox
home) that want to know about your mailboxes for LDAP
address book purposes.

The scenario:
Kolab1 (a Kolab server at a head office)
Kolab2 (a Kolab server at a branch office)

the tools:
When I add a Mailbox/User to Kolab1 a mail message
with a LDIF (LDAP text format) MIME attachment gets
sent to Kolab2. Kolab2 then adds this information as an
Address.
Net effect: When I do a search on Kolab2 using LDAP I
will get all the local Mailboxes/Users and the
Mailbox/Users residing on Kolab1 as Address book
entries.
I now have a Organization-wide address book and do not
have to send seperate LDAP queries to each of the
Kolab servers in the organization in order to lookup
all the users in my organization.

A bit clearer?

(PS - moderator, please delete the previous post from my
Yahoo account)

Regards,
Stephan

--