[Kolab-devel] Kolab + Samba

Mike Jackson mjj at isorauta.ntc.nokia.com
Wed Dec 17 09:32:23 CET 2003

ext Martin Konold (martin.konold at erfrakon.de) wrote:

> > Kolab bring an LDAP server to authenticate, a user admin interface, but
> > can't provide Windows client authentication. Adding Samba to the equation
> > would provide an all integrated mail+authentication server. Very nice and
> > needed!

Samba can act as an NT4 PDC, or an Active Directory member server. It
can't act as a stand-alone Active Directory controller/server. I guess
that Win2k can still authenticate against NT4 domains, but I don' think
that XP -> can. The real question is: how many people are still using
Win2k, e.g. would this actually benefit somebody?

> The problem is currently the LDAP schema as required for Samba. I still have
> not found a nice solution to integrate it with Kolab.

What exactly is the problem? Perhaps I can help with that.

--
mike