Service cyrus-imapd does not start after restore

Jan Kowalsky jankow at datenkollektiv.net
Wed Jul 3 12:31:14 CEST 2019

Hi Dashamir,

sorry, it took some time for answering. Did you got any success meanwhile?

Am 27.06.19 um 18:40 schrieb Dashamir Hoxha:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 3:11 PM Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The only messages that I can find on `/var/log/mail.log` are these
>> (immediately after I try `systemctl start cyrus-imapd`):
>> ```
>> Jun 27 09:58:12 kolab ctl_cyrusdb[767]: skiplist: clean shutdown file
>> missing, updating recovery stamp
>> Jun 27 09:58:12 kolab ctl_cyrusdb[767]: recovering cyrus databases
>> Jun 27 09:58:12 kolab ctl_cyrusdb[767]: done recovering cyrus databases
>> Jun 27 09:58:12 kolab master[766]: process type:START name:idled
>> path:/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/idled age:0.000s pid:768 exited, status 1
>> Jun 27 09:58:12 kolab master[766]: can't run startup
>> Jun 27 09:58:12 kolab master[766]: exiting
>> ```

it looks like a problem with idled process.

could you run cyrus from command line in debugging mode?

cyrus-master -D

(https://linux.die.net/man/8/cyrus-master)

>>> As long we haven't more information it's hard to guess. One point which
>>> comes in my mind are file access rights for cyrus. Since cyrus is
>>> running as user cyrus the databases and the mailspool needs the rights
>>> set accordingly.
>>>

>> The ownership seems to be Ok (cyrus:mail) on `/var/spool/imap` and
>> `/var/lib/imap`.
>> The restore script also takes care of them:
>> https://gitlab.com/docker-scripts/kolab/blob/master/scripts/restore.sh#L47
>>
>> If you had access to the server, would you be willing to have a look an
>> try to find where is the problem?
>> I can install sshd on it and give you access.

If the problem still exists: Please try to send some debugging
information. But, if nothing helps, I could. But I have very little
experience with docker and do not feel very comfortable without direct
access to the cyrus instance ;-). Or is it a single container with full
stack and ssh?

good luck and kind regard.

Jan