Kolab Activesync: unable to configure Outlook 2016 using Exchange

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Fri Sep 28 14:55:43 CEST 2018

>> Indeed I didn't try Outlook 2016. It looks that a registry change may be
>> needed
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3189194/how-to-disable-simplified-account-creation-in-outlook-2016
>>

>> I'd be happy to learn how to make auto-configuration working. Last time
>> I searched I didn't find a solution.
>
> I'm afraid we should all forget about auto-configuration in Outofluck
> 2016, it's broken. micro$$ft are doing a fantastic job breaking their
> own products and not following their own protocols.
> Went and patched
> /usr/share/kolab-autoconf/lib/AutodiscoverMicrosoft.php to force
> mobilesync response if the HTTP user agent matches
> "/(Microsoft.Office\/|Outlook.)16.0/" which got me past the first
> stage, yay! (NOTE: I've selected "Exchange" account type). In the next
> window Outlook asks for password and I duly oblige. Unfortunately it
> keeps coming up with "Your account and password is incorrect", however
> I'm not seeing any more HTTP requests into kolab. Using Wireshark it
> turns out our beloved outlook 2016 is trying to authenticate the kolab
> user via https against 23.101.222.246, which is, of course, some
> micro$$1t IP address.
> Thanks for looking into it.

The previous answer of Ramiro seems to be correct, from Control Panel->
Mail you can configure Outlook as ActiveSync and seems to work.

The outlook 2016 autoconfiguration seems to start now with:

"GET
/autodiscover/autodiscover.json?Email=mihai.badici%40mydomain&Protocol=ActiveSync&RedirectCount=1
HTTP/1.1" 404 228

Probably the answer will list the server capabilities, I will try to dig ...