LDAP server unavailable: SERVER_DOWN

Marcel Bischoff marcel at herrbischoff.com
Wed Jan 10 15:24:37 CET 2018

On 18/01/10, Skale, Franz wrote:
>06:21 is the lograotation, so no problem. Same by me.

A bit reassuring but still: shouldn't the service cleanly restart
instead of barfing "Disorderly Shutdown"?

>What strucks me is, that it seems that ns-slapd as to reallocate
>memory.
>How much memory does your server have ?
>send free -m

$ free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          16045        1304       13096          56        1644       14371
Swap:             0           0           0

No problem I can see there.

>Do you have selinux enabled !
>If so, disable it by adding selinux=0 to /etc/default/grub and rerun
>update-grub.

No, not enabled.

>Send the kernel version: uname -a

Linux mx.example.com 4.10.0-42-generic #46~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 4
15:57:59 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

>How much open file handles to your system allow per process ?
>send: ulimit -a

$ ulimit -a
Maximum size of core files created                           (kB, -c) 0
Maximum size of a process’s data segment                     (kB, -d) unlimited
Maximum size of files created by the shell                   (kB, -f) unlimited
Maximum size that may be locked into memory                  (kB, -l) 64
Maximum resident set size                                    (kB, -m) unlimited
Maximum number of open file descriptors                          (-n) 1024
Maximum stack size                                           (kB, -s) 8192
Maximum amount of cpu time in seconds                   (seconds, -t) unlimited
Maximum number of processes available to a single user           (-u) 64015
Maximum amount of virtual memory available to the shell      (kB, -v) unlimited

>send dmesg: (is there a segfault).

The whole dmesg output is spammed by ufw and contains no useful
information whatsoever.

>It really could be, that you have a failing memory module:
>send dmidecode

I don't think this is likely as this is a virtual server.

$ dmidecode
# dmidecode 3.0
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 2.8 present.
10 structures occupying 408 bytes.
Table at 0x000F68A0.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
	Vendor: SeaBIOS
	Version: 1.10.2
	Release Date: 04/01/2014
	Address: 0xE8000
	Runtime Size: 96 kB
	ROM Size: 64 kB
	Characteristics:
		BIOS characteristics not supported
		Targeted content distribution is supported
	BIOS Revision: 0.0

Handle 0x0100, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
	Manufacturer: Hetzner
	Product Name: vServer
	Version: 2
	Serial Number: Not Specified
	UUID: A8236400-D36B-0135-FE8F-10BF48D7F2C6
	Wake-up Type: Power Switch
	SKU Number: a8236400-d36b-0135-fe8f-10bf48d7f2c6
	Family: Not Specified

Handle 0x0300, DMI type 3, 21 bytes
Chassis Information
	Manufacturer: QEMU
	Type: Other
	Lock: Not Present
	Version: pc-i440fx-2.10
	Serial Number: Not Specified
	Asset Tag: Not Specified
	Boot-up State: Safe
	Power Supply State: Safe
	Thermal State: Safe
	Security Status: Unknown
	OEM Information: 0x00000000
	Height: Unspecified
	Number Of Power Cords: Unspecified
	Contained Elements: 0

Handle 0x0400, DMI type 4, 42 bytes
Processor Information
	Socket Designation: CPU 0
	Type: Central Processor
	Family: Other
	Manufacturer: QEMU
	ID: A1 06 02 00 FF FB 8B 07
	Version: pc-i440fx-2.10
	Voltage: Unknown
	External Clock: Unknown
	Max Speed: 2000 MHz
	Current Speed: 2000 MHz
	Upgrade: Other
	L1 Cache Handle: Not Provided
	L2 Cache Handle: Not Provided
	L3 Cache Handle: Not Provided
	Serial Number: Not Specified
	Asset Tag: Not Specified
	Part Number: Not Specified
	Core Count: 4
	Core Enabled: 4
	Thread Count: 1
	Characteristics: None

Handle 0x1000, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
	Location: Other
	Use: System Memory
	Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
	Maximum Capacity: 16 GB
	Error Information Handle: Not Provided
	Number Of Devices: 1

Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
	Array Handle: 0x1000
	Error Information Handle: Not Provided
	Total Width: Unknown
	Data Width: Unknown
	Size: 16384 MB
	Form Factor: DIMM
	Set: None
	Locator: DIMM 0
	Bank Locator: Not Specified
	Type: RAM
	Type Detail: Other
	Speed: Unknown
	Manufacturer: QEMU
	Serial Number: Not Specified
	Asset Tag: Not Specified
	Part Number: Not Specified
	Rank: Unknown
	Configured Clock Speed: Unknown
	Minimum Voltage: Unknown
	Maximum Voltage: Unknown
	Configured Voltage: Unknown

Handle 0x1300, DMI type 19, 31 bytes
Memory Array Mapped Address
	Starting Address: 0x00000000000
	Ending Address: 0x000BFFFFFFF
	Range Size: 3 GB
	Physical Array Handle: 0x1000
	Partition Width: 1

Handle 0x1301, DMI type 19, 31 bytes
Memory Array Mapped Address
	Starting Address: 0x00100000000
	Ending Address: 0x0043FFFFFFF
	Range Size: 13 GB
	Physical Array Handle: 0x1000
	Partition Width: 1

Handle 0x2000, DMI type 32, 11 bytes
System Boot Information

Handle 0x7F00, DMI type 127, 4 bytes
End Of Table

>Did you update your kernel days ago, if so, you sure ran into a buggy
>kernel 4.9.65.
>I built a 4.9.75 PTI enabled kernel which i send you to test.

4.10.0-42-generic

>Office 365 would be a bad and expensive choice.

I agree. I'd very much like to avoid it but when Kolab turn out to have
issues with the current setup, I doubt I'll get another shot.

Best,
Marcel