why is mailAlternateAddress in transport_maps.cf

Jan Kowalsky jankow at datenkollektiv.net
Mon Aug 13 13:46:35 CEST 2018

Hi all,

the default ldap transport map filter in kolab looks like:

query_filter =
(&(|(mailAlternateAddress=%s)(alias=%s)(mail=%s))(objectclass=kolabinetorgperson))

This is a problem: if someone uses a mail-Adress from the same (internal
kolab) domain as an mailAlternateAddress it's not possible to deliver
mail to the mailAlternateAddress anymore - since it returns an invalid
result_format (with a double entry for lmtp).

Actually I don't get the sense at all: why there is the
mailAlternateAddress referenced in transport? For an external
E-Mail-Adress we never want to deliver mail locally (and it doesn't at
all, since this domain isn't in mydestinations.cf.

As far as I understood the mailAlternateAdress is for the possibility to
store external email-addresses in address book and/or sending eMails
with an non-internal from adress (like gmail) from inside the
kolab-groupware (it this makes sense is another question, since you'll
get problems with SPF and dmarc).

In these cases why do we need the mailAlternateAdress in transports_maps.cf?

Best regards
Jan