Kolab 3.4 and Vacation autoresponder

Homer Dokes hdokes at mail.inct.net
Wed Aug 30 19:54:58 CEST 2017

On 8/29/2017 5:33 AM, Liutauras Adomaitis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2017 m. rugpjūčio 29 d., antradienis 03:13:14 EEST Homer Dokes wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> After updating Kolab 3.4, through apt-get update, the vacation auto
>> responder is no longer available for that matter.  I should add that
>> prior to the update the feature never worked for responding to any
>> outside emails.  It only ever worked for email addresses that were local
>> to the server... .i.e. from the same domain.  Prior to the update there
>> was a pre-defined vacation option in the filters setup.  This is no
>> longer there.  Further, any attempt to create a new filter named
>> vacation and using the "Reply with message" execution on all messages
>> results in nothing happening.  I get no log feedback and no message is
>> sent back to the sender.
>>
>> I can confirm that timsieved is running as I can perform 'telnet
>> localhost sieve' from the email server's command line and I do get a
>> connection.
>>
>> When I set up the new filter and save I can see the output of the save
>> being logged during compiling in the /var/log/roundcubemail/sieve log
>> file.  That's the ONLY time anything ever gets logged related to sieve.
>>
>> Can anyone speak to how auto replies for vacation purposes are suppose
>> to work in the Kolab 3.4 environment?  Anything I can find online is all
>> over the map and none of what I have found speaks to the kolab 3.4
>> environment specifically.  Shouldn't I be able see something logged from
>> Sieve when it's filters are executing?  How does Kolab tie Sieve into
>> cyrus to force the filter?
>>
>> The server is running Debian 7.0 with the Kolab 3.4 community edition.
>>
>> This is a huge issue for my clients and may force us to go to some other
>> email hosting system if we can not overcome it in Kolab.  Any assistance
>> would be greatly appreciated.
> >From Roundcube point of view the vacation settings item can be enabled in /
> etc/roundcubemail/managesieve.inc.php file:
> // Enables separate management interface for vacation responses (out-of-
> office)
> // 0 - no separate section (default),
> // 1 - add Vacation section,
> // 2 - add Vacation section, but hide Filters section
> $config['managesieve_vacation'] = 1;
>
> Vacations autoresponse usually "just work", but:
> - you should make sure /etc/imapd.conf has necessary extensions enabled with
> parameter sieve_extensions
> - you should define email addresses emails to which should be responded with
> vacation message. Rounudcube Vacation config tool has that in advanced
> settings.
> - you should make sure vacation responder is enabled as sieve filter. After
> creating vacation responder chec <sieve_dir parameter value>/domain/e/
> excample.com/t/test^user/ directory. Check if sieve filter is created and if
> it is included in the filters main file.
> - I'm not sure if you should see anything in the logs, but you should
> [...]

Hello Liutauras,

Thank you for your response.  I really appreciate it.  Here's what I
have found when checking against your list:

1. $config['managesieve_vacation'] = 1 -Found this set to 0. Once I set it back to 1 the vacation option
appeared in the roundcubemail settings list and could be edited.

2. In the /etc/imapd.conf file I have this which I think is what you were looking for:sieve_extensions: fileinto reject envelope body vacation imapflags
notify include regex subaddress relational copy date index

3. The vacation responder is enabled as a sieve filter and does show up
in the users active sieve script with the latest edits.

4. When users within the email domain send each other email the vacation
auto responder triggers and does send out the message. Here is a snippit
from my syslog showing the response is logged:

   Aug 30 13:25:11 mail postfix/lmtp[867]: C852A20A7:
to=<userA at lcent.com>, relay=mail.lcent.com[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp],
delay=0.35, delays=0.03/0.04/0/0.27, dsn=2.1.5, status=sent (250 2.1.5
Ok SESSIONID=<mail.lcent.com-861-1504113910-1-3775082477817360626>)

When users receive outside the email domain, then no response is set and
there is no corresponding message in syslog.

Is there a setting that makes a difference for externally originated
emails?  Is there some log we can review to identify if cyrus is
actually employing the sieve filter on external emails?