Migrating and Upgrade Issues (wheezy to jessie or wheezy to centos7, 3.4 to 3.4 or 16)

Gelpi Andrea liste at gelpi.it
Fri Sep 30 10:38:08 CEST 2016

Il 30/09/2016 10:19, Matthias Busch ha scritto:
> Good day,
>
> I am really struggeling with the migration of Kolab onto a new machine.
>
> The current installation is on debian 7 x64 (wheezy). I really would
> like to move away from debian 7.
>
> I would prefer debian 8 but to me it looks like centos7 is the better
> choice with longer support cycles and god knows if and when debian 8 is
> getting kolab 16
>
> In the span of the last few days, I have tried a number of different
> scenarios, unfortunately, all with problems I can not fix.
> In general, I exported LDAP via the bash script at
> https://docs.kolab.org/administrator-guide/backup-and-restore.html
> The IMAP data is being copied with rsync -ah source target --exclude
> (files that can be excluded according to doc)
> The OS is installed in minimal mode, certain settings are changed (like
> swapping firewalld with iptables, installation of nano, ...), kolab is
> installed according to the how to install documentation, passwords are
> selected identical to the existing installation...
>
> - centos7, kolab 16 (installation seems fine)
> I import the LDAP data, copy over the imap data, reboot. kolab-webadmin
> looks good, users are there, shared folders are there.
> Login to webmail works, emails are there. BUT NO SHARED FOLDERS. And I
> have no idea what could be wrong or where to search for the problem.
> Additionally, log pykolab.auth is throwing A LOT errors "pykolab.auth
> ERROR An error occured  using_persistent_search: TIMEOUT()
>
> - centos7, kolab 3.4 (installation seems fine)
> Also import LDAP data, copy over imap...
> webadmin okay, webmail shows, shared e-mail folders ok, but shared
> folders of other users (calendar, inbox) is not there.
> at least no errors in pykolab log
>
> - since centos7 is giving me trouble, I thought I'll try to upgrade
> debian from 7 to 8 and attempt the move to centos later or not if
> kolab16 is coming to debian
> first, I installed debian7 on a new machine, then copy over all data
>
> rsync -avh --delete /  -e "ssh -p xx" root a TARGETIP:/ --exclude
> '/etc/fstab' --exclude '/proc' --exclude '/dev' --exclude '/sys'
> --exclude '/boot' --exclude '/etc/udev/rules.d' --exclude '/var/run'
> --exclude '/var/lock' --exclude '/mnt' --exclude '/lost+found'
>
> this seems to work just fine. which solves the problem of moving
> machines. but I did not expect anything less
>
> next, I changed the debian sources from wheezy to jessie and the kolab
> source from ...3.4/Debian_7.0/ to 8.0
> next apt-get update
> stopping all services like kolab, postmap, cyrus, dirsrv, apache, ...
> next apt-get upgrade
> it will run a while and be done.
> next apt-get dist-upgrade
> which will tell me a large number of upgraded packets, some new packets
> and will remove a good number of packets. including parts of kolab
> I actually tried and it does indeed remove essential parts of kolab.
> Trying to reinstall kolab will partly work, but dirsrv seems
> [...]

Recently I migrated form an old Kolab installation on Debian to a new
Kolab 3.4 on Centos 7.
I did in this way.

I setup the new server and tested it.

To move email accounts I use imapsync included in Centos 7.
Yum install imapsync.

Every things was well copied, emails, calendars, address books.

I only manually migrated Sieve configuration.

I have more then 300 Gbytes of emails, so the process took time.

I also used fetchmail during the migration of every domain, to keep
synchronized old email account on old server a new one on new server.

After every account migration I changed the client configuration.

--
Gelpi ing. Andrea