IMAP - IOERROR : Cannot allocate memory

Andy Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Wed Sep 14 02:59:22 CEST 2016

Hi :

I have a client who contacted me with problems on their Kolab 3.4 server.
It seems as though they can not create / rename folders any longer.

They sent me this snippet from the log :

<mail.log>
Sep 13 10:52:24 mail imap[32214]: IOERROR: mapping /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db.NEW file: Cannot allocate memory
Sep 13 10:52:24 mail imap[32214]: Fatal error: failed to mmap /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db.NEW file
Sep 13 10:52:24 mail imap[32214]: twoskip: /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db closed while still locked
Sep 13 10:52:24 mail master[2168]: process type:SERVICE name:imap path:/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/imapd age:56.459s pid:32214 exited, status 75
</mail.log>

I have no idea what is going on here.  There is virtually no information I can find
that directly relates to this.   This closest I found was this relating to logging region :

https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3377220

This was relating ro dovecot, seemed like a parallell issue :
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-August/085148.html

This seemed relevant to mupdate, but with the same error message
https://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus/2005-September/019660.html

--

I did some experimenting, and even added a DB_CONFIG to /var/lib/imap/db, and set the
cache size to 250MB ... that still did not fix the problem.

This looks like some kind of resource limit has been reached ... but which one?
And how does it get increased.

Any help or advice on this?

Thanks,

Andy