integration of samba pdc with ldap backend into kolab

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Mon Nov 21 19:16:31 CET 2016

On 2016-11-21 06:34 AM, Carlos R Laguna wrote:
> El 17/11/16 a las 19:53, Geoff Nordli escribió:
>>
>> On 2016-11-17 02:49 PM, Jan Kowalsky wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> since I was not very happy with the available possibilities for a
>>> simple
>>> management of a samba pdc (not AD) I thought about to integrate such a
>>> management feature into kolab / kolab-webadmin. There are of course
>>> some
>>> ready made distributions like clearos, ucs or freeipa - but they are
>>> heavy and do not fit all the time in an existing environment. But the
>>> main point: they are mostly not integrated into a groupware. I tried
>>> the
>>> ldap account manager - but in the open source version it doesn't go
>>> together with kolab because it doesn't support groupofuniquenames.
>>>
>>> So I did the following steps:
>>>
>>>    * import the samba ldap schema into 389-ds (why isn't it by
>>> default?)
>>>    * added a kolab user type with all the necessary samba attributes
>>>    * configured the ldap aci for enable self writing of some attributes
>>>    * did some simple changes in kolab webadmin for syncing samba
>>>      passwords and getting samba domain configuration from
>>>      kolab.conf
>>>
>>> While I did the provisioning of the samba domain with the samba-ldap
>>> tools, in the result we can now manage users and groups easily from the
>>> kolab webadmin.
>>>
>>> What do you think? Is it worth to share this in any howto? Do other
>>> people still use samba pdc? Would it make sense to integrate this in
>>> the
>>> kolab-webadmin code?
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Jan
>>
>> Hi Jan.
>>
>> Yes, that would be very helpful.  I am just embarking on setting up a
>> new system with Samba 4 as an Active Directory DC and will also be
>> deploying Kolab 16.1 when it becomes available.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Geoff

> Hi Geoff,
>
> Last time i check samba4 does not use ldap as backend anymore, how
> would you plan to use samba4 as kolab primary backend ?

Hi Carlos.

It has been a while since I have done samba work.  I haven't used Samba4
yet and I didn't know it shipped with its own internal ldap server.

Have you tried integrating the two together?

It seems like I will have to create two silos, or maybe look at using
the older 3.x version.

thanks,

Geoff